Come to the Aran Islands to Learn Irish
People have for hundreds of years travelled to the Aran Islands to immerse themselves in the language and culture of the community.
- Well as you know, it is the largest of the three Aran Islands, located off the coast of Co. Galway.
- An excellent boat service is provided by Island Ferries to Inis Mór from Ros a Mhíl.
- Doolin ferries also provide boat service from Doolin and Aer Aran provide aer service from Inverin.
- The island is approx 9 miles long and 3 miles wide, and has 14 villages on it. The main village is Cill Rónáin, where the pier is located.
- The Gaeltacht college named in honour of the poet Máirtín Ó Direáin is based in Fearann an Choirce, in the centre of the island, and student houses are located in many villages on the island.
- Students living near by to the college will walk to and from their houses, while students living a greater distance will be transported to and from the college on mini-buses.
- The island has many beautiful sights and places of interest to visit, and students visiting are guaranteed to be impressed.
- There are many historical sights to be seen such as, Dún Aonghasa, Clochán na Carraige and Dún Eochla.
- The scenic and rugged beauty of Inis Mór can be found around every corner, especially Poll na bPéist, Clochán na Carraige and Dún Dubh Chathair.
- A Blue flag beach is a mere 5 minute walk from the Coláiste , and many an hour can be spent here, basking in the glorious sunshine! OK, a blue flag beach can be guaranteed, the sun cannot!
- Best advice though, is to come and see for yourself! You won’t be disappointed.